Two Gents and a Little Lady

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Post #300: Dedicated to homemaking and the internet

Wow, 300 posts. In less than a year. The only conclusion I can draw from these figures is that I need to get a life.
Anyway, onto the main body of my post:
Being a wife/mother/homemaker is a wonderful career. It is a life full of beauty, blessings, and rewards.
But it's hard.
Everybody has unique gifts and talents, including me. However, organization, time management, and creativity (especially creativity!) are not among them. Seeing as these skills (among many others) are a must for being a successful wife/mother/homemaker, I am constantly looking for help, guidance, and motivation whenever and wherever I can find it. I am lucky to have such wonderful women in my life (mom, mom-in-law, sisters, sisters-in-law, cousins, friends, etc) who set an example for me and provide me with new ideas to improve my home and family life. I also take advantage of another wonderful resource at my disposal.... the internet.
There are so many wonderful websites and blogs created by people who possess the very talents and skills that I lack, and they are willing to share those talents with us. I have compiled a large collection of websites and links that I have found helpful at some time or another, and I want to share them with you. Some are for Utah only, some are for Arizona only, others are for everybody. Some of them I found through tips from family and friends, others I found by following various links from other sites, and a few of them I happened upon entirely by chance. Please feel free to check these out; maybe they will prove to be helpful and inspiring to some of you, maybe not. Warning: This is a very long post, but it is full of good stuff. If you need to, read it in different time segments. Also, if you know of any wonderful websites that are not on the list below, please share!

Family Home Evening Ideas: Ideas for fun and spiritual FHE's for kids of all ages.



Economy/Frugality/Grocery Deals: Other people out there get to do all the research and find what all the great deals are and where... so we can save money while still building food storage.



Miscellaneous Websites/Blogs for Wives/Mothers





  • http://blog.superhealthykids.com/ -- associated with the site http://www.superhealthykids.com/ -- both geared towards helping kids eat healthier

  • http://www.mormonshare.com/ -- LDS clipart, Sharing Time ideas, Primary talks, YW ideas, object lessons, seminary, Relief Society stuff, etc...

  • http://allrecipes.com/ -- the most extensive online recipe collection I've found. It's terrific.

  • http://familyfun.go.com/ -- if you've ever looked through a Family Fun magazine (fabulous), this is the website that shows a lot of the childrens' crafts, activities, recipes, etc that are found in the magazine. My favorite section is the Creative Solutions section. It was on this website that I found the pattern for Tayson's choo choo birthday cake, displayed HERE.

  • http://foreverfamilies.byu.edu/xml/home.aspx? -- adresses the issues that challenge marriage, families, parenthood, etc.

  • http://www.handipoints.com/ -- you can create custom and attractive chore charts for your children... for free!

  • http://www.lilieslane.com/ --ideas and creations to strengthen women and families

  • http://organizedhome.com/ -- provides strategies for keeping a home clean, organized, and budgeted. Has a fabulous link for creating a Household Notebook

  • http://education.byu.edu/youcandothis/ -- one of the most helpful and motivating parenting sites for parenting with a gospel perspective -- must check it out

  • http://www.ywconnection.com/ -- if any of you serve in the Young Women, or have daughters serving in a class presidency, then this is the site for you. Full of ideas for activities, In Excellence, New Beginnings, Personal Progress, Road Shows, Camp, etc

  • http://www.cozi.com -- a free online family scheduling/organizing site that you can also access from your phone... you would just have to check it out to see how it works



Wow, this post took me about 2 weeks to organize and create, so I'm glad I'm done. Sorry it's so long, but I hope you found something useful...






3 comments:

kira said...

Cool!

Karen said...

Here's another link for FHE activities with flannel boards: http://www.funfelt.com If you click on Religious items it takes you to a link at the bottom for LDS!

Anonymous said...

Totally awesome! I completely agree with how great of a resource the internet is. Where would we be without it?!