Yesterday, I was summoned to the bishop's office before church was to start. I was beginning to feel that my time of rest was up. I had been without a calling for about 2 and a half months, and my luck could only last so long. ;> I new that my interview was with Bro. Talbot, who is the counselor over the primary, so I felt safe in assuming that my calling would be in the primary somewhere. I began to review which positions I knew would be open. Julie recently moved away, leaving the 2nd counselor position open. And Stacy was serving as the music leader, but was recently requisitioned into young women's to replace the counselor who replaced me. And there is usually a teacher's position open somewhere. So, filled with more curiosity than anything else, I, along with my little family, filed into the bishop's office to await my fate.
For those of you who ventured a guess in facebook, Lady Katie Kempton is the winner. I am now serving as the nursery assistant. My feelings regarding this are mixed. Compared to my previous calling, this will be a piece of cake - or a handful of goldfishies - whichever you prefer. However, I have done this calling before. For the first 2 years of our marriage, when we lived in a different ward, I served in a huge nursery. I remember the feelings of isolation, being trapped in a room with small children for 2 hours, only interacting with other nursery leaders and the parents of the nursery children.
I was vastly relieved to learn that in this ward, the nursery teachers are only called to be in nursery every other week. On their off weeks, they are free to attend sunday school/ relief society with the other adults.
My first Sunday, however, did not go off so well. I went to the nursery after Sacrament Meeting to meet with the nursery leader to learn which schedule she wanted me on. I waited ... and waited... and waited. Eventually I realized that no nursery leaders were going to show up, and I would be on my own. *sigh* I guess this would be my week to be in nursery.
While I am feeling optimistic regarding my new calling, it didn't take me very long at all to realize that I will need to start bringing some healthy snacks with me to church. When it's time to break out the animal crackers and goldfishes and fruit loops, I am just as hungry as the little tots, and my fingers have a mind of their own.
2 comments:
Nursery again, huh? Playtime!! :)
Do I win a prize or something? :)
You will do great. And really, you can't beat snacktime. In my ward, the adults all hang out in the nursery so they can eat the snacks. They know where it's at. At least you aren't starting during cold and flu season. Have fun! Love, Katie
Post a Comment