Two Gents and a Little Lady

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Announcement, announcement, annou-ouncement!

If the title of this post seems somewhat bizarre to you, it is the opening lyrics to a corny YW camp song we always sang when I was in YW when somebody said they had an announcement. Well, I do have an announcement. I am NOT pregnant.
Today, I was released from my position as Young Women president. As much as I have enjoyed working with the youth of our ward, I have to be honest, and say that this came as a huge relief to me. I have been serving in this YW organization for over 3 years, and the last almost 2 years as the president. Clint is also serving as the YM president, which means that we have been taking our kids to all of our mutual activities each week, as well as to BYC, etc. It has gotten to be a strain on the kids as well as on us.
A week and a half ago, we held our tri-ward New Beginnings, and it turned out great. The Beehives were in charge of planning it (which means that I had NO part in the planning!) I was, however, asked to lead the music. That evening, the young men were going Rock Climbing, which is not young-kid-friendly, so the kids went with me. As I stook in front of the young women, leaders, parents, and bishoprics to lead the music, I held Brennen in one arm, and had Tayson clinging to my other leg. I remember thinking that a task that should be so easy was made so difficult, and I was just so exhausted. I think my Bishop probably saw it in my face because the next Sunday, he pulled me aside for a 'chat' and we decided it was indeed time for me to move on.
I have enjoyed working with the many different leaders within the presidency that I have been able to work with through the years, and will miss working with the girls, but I'm excited to see where I will be put to work next.
I attended Relief Society today for the second time in over 3 years (I went a few months ago when no young women showed up at church). I did not get to enjoy it for long, because Brennen, at 14 months old, is at that age... Instead, I spent much of my time wandering the halls, wishing they would adjust the minimum age requirement for nursery to 14 months. :)
The new YW president is Carlie Madsen, who has been serving (very well, I might add) as my 2nd Counselor. She will do a terrific job, and the girls already love her.
For now, I will just take a deep breath and enjoy my most-likely-brief time being calling-less.

3 comments:

Kerilee Law said...

I say that the nursery age should be as soon as the child is walking, or 18-months, whichever comes FIRST.

sadie said...

so glad your feeling a bit relieved :) **my missionary leaves tomorrow.. meaning i have all the time in the world to babysit your kiddies!!! :)

Annie Oldham said...

Congratulations!!! And of course that last hour feels like it drags on for the first few weeks. I'm interested to see where they put you next.