Two Gents and a Little Lady

Monday, November 17, 2008

The Mystery of the Sunday Morning Nap

Brennen is usually very good about taking his naps at the appointed times. His morning nap starts at about 9:20-ish (this works because I drop Tayson off at preschool at 9:15 and return to pick him up at 11:30). And his afternoon nap usually begins at about 2:00 in the afternoon (which works beautifully because 3 afternoons a week, I work 2-6, so Brennen will sleep through half my shift). Like I said, Brennen is usually a champion at these nap times. I will lay him down in his crib, and he will usually fall asleep without a peep.
At least, he will Monday through Saturday.

The Sunday nap schedule in our home is way, way off. And not because the nap times don't work on Sunday, because they do. Our church time is currently 11-2, so, theoretically, Brennen should have a nice solid nap just before church, then be happy for the 3-hour block, then return home for a fat Sunday afternoon nap. Theoretically. For some reason, Brennen will not fall asleep during his morning nap time on Sundays, even though he has no such problems during the other 6 days of the week.

This is compounded by the fact that Brennen requires being in his crib to sleep. It takes a supreme amount of effort to get him to fall asleep in anybody's arms, he doesn't sleep in a stroller, and he will only fall asleep in his carseat if it is a really long drive. Therefore, not only will he not sleep before church, but he will go the whole 3-hour block without sleeping too. Naturally, this makes church so very enjoyable for his mom and dad. Especially yesterday, when both Clint and I had to teach in our YM and YW classes. Happy, happy, joy, joy.

So, when 2:00 rolled around, I could not get out of the meetinghouse fast enough. I was almost delirously happy at the thought of putting Brennen down for an extra long nap. First, though, I wanted to give him a snack, so that he wouldn't have any pesky excuse, such as being hungry, to keep him from sleeping long. This is what happened:


He was out cold within a couple minutes. He didn't so much as flinch as I removed his tray, lifted him up, and laid him in his crib. Poor little tyke. Although, it's his own darn fault for not taking his morning nap....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I think Grace had a similar problem with Sunday naps. Our church time may have had something to do with it, though, but I can't remember for sure.

The Jones--trying to keep up said...

Yeah, I don't know what it is about Sundays either but they are ROUGH on kiddos and sleeping. And we're supposed to be blessed for our efforts....J/K Blessing come in other ways I guess.