Last week, I received a phone call from Clint, telling me that he would be home a little late because he had to stay and fill out a police report. As Clint was perfectly calm, composed, and casual while telling me this, I was more curious than concerned, so I continued with my chores as I asked what had happened. That's when Clint told me a customer had pulled a gun on him.
(Insert title of this post.)
The chores were of course forgotten as I anxiously listened to Clint's story. For those of you who don't know, Clint is an RV technician. His last job of the day was to do a brake control on a guy's truck so that he could pull a trailer. It didn't take Clint long to figure out that the wiring was all messed up, so he went out to the customer to explain that it would take a little longer than was originally planned because the wiring needed some work. As Clint approached the man, he aggressively asked where his truck was. That's when Clint explained about the wiring. That's when the customer pulled a gun out of his pocket, held it out in front of him, paused, and said, "Well, you're going to hurry it up, aren't you."
Feeling like his point was made, the man returned the gun to his pocket and left the shop to return to the showroom and wait. Through all of this, Clint just stood there silently, which I'm sure the customer took to mean that Clint was appropriately intimidated and afraid. Well, the customer was mistaken. With a mixture of fury and disbelief, Clint waited for a minute as he consulted his brain to make sure what just happened had really happened, then followed the man into the showroom to confront him.
Yes, my husband went to confront the gun-wielding madman. After I gave Clint a piece of my mind upon hearing this, he did admit that if he had to go back, he would not have followed the man back to the showroom, but just called the cops instead. Anyway, back to my story.
Clint charged into the showroom and asked, "Did you seriously just pull a gun on me?" There were several salesmen and adminstrative staff watching, so the customer tried to play innocent and told Clint that he was diabetic and what he had pulled out of his pocket was his blood-sugar test meter. Clint informed him that he, too, was diabetic and his test meter looked nothing like that. What followed were several minutes of Clint insisting that the man empty his pocket for everybody to see, and the man refusing to do so, insisting he didn't have a gun.
After realizing that he was fighting a losing battle, the man's attitude changed from belligerent to sheepish as he laid his gun on the counter, said he had been wrong to pull the gun out in an effort to imply a threat, he was just in a really big hurry, and asked Clint if he would accept his apology.
To make a long story short, apology not accepted, police called, customer charged with 3 counts of brandishing a weapon, husband suffered from delayed reaction of 'Oh crap, what did I just do', wife suffered from panic attack, husband suffered from wrath of wife, husband and wife kissed and made up, and everybody lived happily every after. The end.
What an exciting life we live.
3 comments:
I didn't know Clint was such a dare-devil! Crazy man! Glad it all worked out in the end though. Whew! Scary.
So scary! And I can't believe Clint just went up to the nut job knowing he had a gun and wasn't afraid to whip it out. Eek.
He did what?!
Post a Comment