A couple weeks ago, Brennen developed a fever. There were no other symptoms, just a fever. He laid on the couch all day, wanting to snuggle. I got really concerned when his temperature reached 103.7*, and he didn't even have the energy to hold his own sippy cup. He would drink if I held it to his mouth, but he would just lay there on the couch, motionless. After Clint and a neighbor gave him a priesthood blessing, I took him to the doctor for his very first sick-child appointment. His temperature was verified, and he was diagnosed with a simple ear infection - his very first one - and we left the office armed with a prescription for amoxicillin.
Within two days, the temperature had come down, and Brennen was feeling much better. However, I started to notice a rash developing on his chest, and it soon spread to his face. Not being one who is prone to overreaction or panic attacks, I simply went back to the doctor, certain that I was going to learn that Brennen was allergic to pennicillin and he was going to die. Not so. I was told that the rash was simply a symptom of the original virus that caused the ear infection, and the antibiotic simply aggravated that symptom. So we finished the the antibiotic period. The rash never seemed to bother Brennen. He never whined about it, or itched. In fact, once his fever broke, he was as happy as ever. It sure bothered me, though. The rash eventually spread to every square inch of his body. He had little pink bumps on his fingers, toes, scalp, face, back, you name it. Just looking at him made me itch. Just as the doctor predicted, though, the rash went away as soon as the antibiotic was finished.
1 comment:
sick + kids = NO FUN!
At least it's the first time with Brennan! Hopefully it'll be the last for awhile.
Post a Comment