I'm fairly certain that my love for math was one of the reason that my family (affectionately, I choose to believe) frequently decreed that I 'marched to the tune of a different drummer' in my youth. As a side note, my second most favorite classes in school were the English classes. I hated, loathed, despised, and abominated all art classes, even my college ceramics class. Ugh! Ceramics, baaad; calculus, gooood.
Anyway, Tayson's favorite thing to do immediately after eating breakfast in the morning (and then periodically throughout the day) is to have us give him some math 'homework'. We will hear him chirp out in a sing-songy voice, "Math, math, math. I want to do some math!" Then Clint or I will write up some simple addition problems on a piece of paper, which he will take into his room. He will sit on his bed, solve the problems, then come show us so that we can grade him.
At first, we taught him how to draw dots on the numbers for counting purposes, and he still does that sometimes. But we have recently noticed that he has started to memorize some of the problems and doesn't need to do the dots. I guess it's time to start giving him bigger numbers and harder problems! We also have to draw parallel lines where the answer should be, or else his answers will be written with 2-inch tall numbers. :)
This is the set of problems I gave him after breakfast this morning:

And this is his finished product (see the dots?):

They are simple problems, of course, but for a 4-year-old, I don't think it's too shabby.
4 comments:
wow, I'm seriously impressed! don't they usually learn that in about first grade?
That's awesome! We will ocassionally ask Savannah a math question, but I've never tried paper quiz form. Good idea!
That is adorable. When I was four, I really wanted to go to kindergarten, so my mom would leave me "homework." I don't think she ever left me math homework though :)
Wow! Why don't you send Tayson down here to tutor Grace?
Post a Comment