Two Gents and a Little Lady

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

10 months...

I took Brennen to his 9 month old well child doctor visit today.... one day after he turned 10 months old. Okay, okay, so I waited too long to make the appointment, and this is all that was available. Anyway, the report is that Brennen is outstandingly healthy. So healthy, in fact, that the doctor said to skip the usual 12 month doctor visit, and wait until next spring, when he will be 15 months.

First, the nurse took all the measurements:
length: 28" (25%)
weight: 20 lbs, 1 oz (25%)
head: 45.6 cm (50%)

The length didn't surprise me much, because I can visibly tell that Brennen is shorter at this age than Tayson was at the same age. However, the doctor did some fancy calculations, factoring in Brennen's current lenght, Clint's height, and my height, and came up with the conclusion that Brennen is on track to reach the adult height of 5' 11". That's not so midgety, so I can live with that. The weight did catch me somewhat by surprise, as it has at each of his doctor visits. Whenever I chance to see Brennen's thighs (several times a day thanks to the necessary diaper changes), the thought pops into my mind that I have a fat little baby. However, it seems that most of his weight just settles in his thighs. The doctor was quick to remind me that it is perfectly normal for their weight to drop a little at this age because they are more mobile. I looked back in Tayson's file, and he followed the same pattern.

Before the nurse left the room, she drew a drop of blood from Brennen's big toe to test his iron level (which returned with a healthy and normal level). We then got to hang out for a few minutes, while we waited for Dr. Johnson to finish with his previous patient.

Here's Brennen, checking out his cool bandaid....

And exploring his surroundings:

After the doctor came to visit, the nurse returned with the vaccines, one Hepatitis B, and one flu shot. Poor baby.

1 comment:

Annie Oldham said...

I'm with you...he sure seems more of a chunk than 25th percentile!