Two Gents and a Little Lady

Friday, July 11, 2008

Proud, Prejudiced, Senseless AND Miserable

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was reading Pride and Prejudice. I finished it, it was great, and I followed it with another viewing of the fabulous movie (once again the BBC version). I followed that book up with both Sense and Sensibility, and Emma. I loved both of them and, of course, followed each of those books with their respective movies. I was tempted to move on to Mansfield Park or Persuasion, but thought that I would give Jane Austen a break.
So, I created a list (rather lengthy) of books that I want to read and headed off to the library to hunt down the first on my list: The Three Musketeers. Unfortunately, all the copies were checked out and all that was available was the book on tape (I mean tape, not CD-- seriously, who listens to tapes anymore?). I wasn't interested in checking out and listening to the 19 cassettes, so I moved on down the list. (Interestingly enough, I talked to a neighbor later in the day and she had checked out the last copy of the book from the library the day before. Stinker.)
The first book on my list that was available (it was #5 or #6) was the unabridged version of Les Miserables. This book is 1260 pages long and somewhat slow and challenging to read. I tried to tackle this book when I was 15 years old, but after about 200 pages, I gave up and went to the abridged version instead. I'm giving it another shot and it may take me 3 months to read it, but I will finish it!!! Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Alicia said...

You can do it! I need to give that one another shot, too.

Kerilee Law said...

I've never tried to read it before and have still never seen the production. I hope to someday though. I found out that Phantom of the Opera is coming to Spokane in October and we ARE SO going to be there! Maybe someday Les Mis will come too!!

Kristen said...

Don't do it! I read the unabridged version right after high school. And there are so many lengthy, boring, detailed parts that are his social commentary about things that are obsolete that I skipped over anyway. I recently read an abridged version and enjoyed it much more.

By the way, do you have a Goodreads account?