Two Gents and a Little Lady

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Music to my ears

I have this silly habit. I often use the tunes of normal nursery rhymes, yet alter the words so that they are about my children. Then I sing these silly tunes to my children. I'm pretty sure I get this quirk from my dad. I have many memories of him adding a random tune to his comments or statements, and we use to tease him about it.
Here are a couple of my more well-used songs:
(To the tune of Little Bunny Foo Foo)
Little Brennen Duncan,
Momma loves her Punkin',
With your chubby-chunkin',
Rolly-polly cheeks!


Hey, I never said they make sense. Here's another one:
(To the tune of The Farmer in the Dell)
I'm gonna spank your bum!
I'm gonna spank your bum!
Hi, ho, the Tayson-oh,
I'm gonna spank your bum!


I have found that if I sing to Tayson when I am really angry, then my threats don't make me that horrible of a mother. Or so my convoluted logic tells me anyway.

4 comments:

Annie Oldham said...

I love that you have this habit as well. I make up all kinds of silly songs and sing them to Lilly. And whenever I start singing to her, she starts smiling.

kira said...

We love to do this too. It kinda makes me feel good that my kids aren't the only ones who are going to remember the wrong words to popular kid songs...:)

Kelli said...

This is awesome. I make up songs for Alleah to, but I have never put them to other tunes. I think I will try it next time I am making up a song. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I think your logic makes perfect sense. Although I know if I tried to sing to Grace when she was in trouble she would never take me seriously. So I just have to be mean,