Our young women's camp is coming up in June. I, of course, will not be attending because I have a nursing baby (darn it!), but I am lucky to have a dedicated and supportive presidency, all of whom will be going to camp with the girls. Unfortunately for us, the cost of all of our girls and leaders to go to camp is more money than we have in our entire year's budget. So, we have been brainstorming for a couple of months on some fundraiser ideas. We came up with two plans. On the Friday of conference weekend, we are going to have a YW sleepover, at which we will be baking and frosting cinnamon rolls. The cinnamon rolls will be delivered the next morning, before the 1st session as we drive the girls home, to the ward members who have ordered them in advance. To those of you who are unfamiliar with where I live, delivering them will not be a big hassle because our ward boundaries extend approximately one block wide and two blocks long. Crazy, I know.
Well, with what I estimated the outcome of our cinnamon roll sale would be, I figured we would need a second fundraiser, so we tentatively planned a spaghetti dinner at the church for all those interested in paying for it.
We passed out a cinnamon roll sign up sheet for the first time on Sunday. I sent a young woman into RS and PH opening exercises each to explain what was going on and get a clipboard going. Because it was Easter Sunday and many people were gone, we told them that we would also be sending the sign up list around the next Sunday. Now, I kind of wish that I hadn't done that. It turns out that our ward is much more supportive that I had predicted. Already, we have orders for 34 dozen cinnamon rolls. Yup, we have to make 408 of the suckers. Oh, shneikes!!! What did we get ourselves into? I've already decided that the logistics of this are going to be a nightmare.
What's really funny is that the clipboard from the RS came back with maybe 10 names on it and the most they signed up for was 1/2 dozen each. The PH clipboard, however came back completely full and the fewest they signed up for was 1/2 dozen each! One high priest even signed up for 6 dozen!!! Seeing as how he only lives with a wife and one grown daughter, I'm not sure what he's planning on doing with 72 cinnamon rolls. I guess it's true that men think with their stomachs. The good news is that we no longer need to plan a spaghetti dinner.
So, wish us luck in our baking efforts!
3 comments:
I love to make cinnamon rolls, and that sounds like so much fun to be making them with the young women all night. I miss you and the young women so much! And did you expect anything else from that ward? They've always been sooooo supportive. I bet some of them don't even like cinnamon rolls but signed up anyway.
Yikes! Sounds like tons of fun.
WOW! You're going to be pulling an all-nighter to get all of those made! Good luck!!
Post a Comment