Two Gents and a Little Lady

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The nursery

Back in early November, I got a wild crazy idea to repaint the nursery.  The way the room was painted when we bought the house was very cute, if a little busy.  I originally thought I wanted to keep it that way.  However, with my addiction to pinterest, my dormant creative juices started flowing, and I decided to act a little domestic and start decorating.  :)  Having never painted a wall in my life, I was not too sure how my husband would feel about me experimenting in our new home.  So, I did the only logical thing and  kept it a secret decided to surprise him.
Knowing how big a project it would be, and how hugely pregnant and awkward I was, I recruited my willing sister, Kerilee, into joining me.  She didn't have much more experience than I did, so we knew it would be an adventure for us both.
Here are the BEFORE pictures:


The lower 2/3 of the walls were white, with a border of flowers that were half painted, half sticker.  The top 1/3, as well as the ceiling (I have since decided that I will never EVER paint a ceiling anything other than white), was a bright sky blue with white clouds and butterflies that were, again, part paint and part sticker .  Separating the lower white walls and the upper blue walls was a multi-colored polka-dot border. 
I decided to paint the ceiling white, so that it would never have to be painted again, no matter what color the walls were.   The walls, however, I decided to paint a very pale green.
After a rough start with a minor fiasco involving some spray primer, Kerilee and I got busy applying the many, many coats of primer and paint that is required when painting such pale colors over such bright, bold colors.
Here are the AFTER pictures (pictures were unwisely taken during the bright part of the day - sorry.):

The glide rocker was a gift when Tayson was born, and given a major cleaning, using THIS product (thank you Pinterest).  The changeing table was a gift from my friend, Kristin Cable (given a fresh coat of paint by me).

The dresser was a clearance find at Shopko, and the crib was a gift from my neighbor, Anneli Alvey.  The cute Button wallhanging was found at Rodworks.  The curtains are a bit on the frilly side, admittedly, but that is my privilege with my first daughter.  :)



And the blanket - the blanket I crocheted just for Ember.  I have crocheted literally dozens of full-sized and baby afghans for various friends and relatives, but this the first blanket I have crocheted for one of my own kids, sadly.

The cutest part of the bedroom, however, is this:


While there is nothing super-fancy or extraordinary about this room, I still take a lot of pride in it, and look forward to other decorating projects around the house.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Looks great. I love the pink and green.

Aimee said...

Well done Ruth! Especially for a first time painter. I think it's a beautiful little room for your beautiful little girl.