Two Gents and a Little Lady

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

You know you are a grocery-shopaholic when....

you forget your husband's birthday, just because it happens to fall on Shopping Day. So sad, but so true. Today is my wonderful hubby's birthday, and it also happens to be wednesday: Shopping Day. To give myself a little credit, I did remember his birthday before today. I even had his gift all purchased and wrapped and ready. Then the grocery store ads came in the mail yesterday....I was so excited about some of the deals this week, that I once again had everything possible prepared the night before. I had my coupons all stacked on the coffee table, in organized piles. I had a pair of scissors and a pen laid out as well. I set my alarm for 6:00 am, and hopped out of bed at the first buzz. I printed off my shopping list and sat on the couch to clip and gather the coupons that I would need. When the kids woke up, all that was needed was to eat breakfast, get dressed, and head out the door. When Tayson woke up this morning, he went into our bedroom to flop on our bed. Clint saw him and said, "Guess what today is, buddy?"This is when I started doing my bouncy little I'm-excited dance, and replied with, "It's shopping day! Hooray!" Clint just smiled, rolled his eyes, and shook his head. "It's also Daddy's birthday."

Oops.

I had to give him his gift right then, so that I could prove that I hadn't really forgotten his birthday. Happy Birthday, Babe. I love you.


Now, as for my shopping trip today....

This is what I purchased:




  • 3 gallons milk
  • 1 bag frozen chicken nuggets
  • 2 bags frozen french fries
  • 1 pkg sandwich ham
  • 1 bag red seedless grapes
  • 8 pouches Lipton Sides Plus Veggies
  • 16 light bulbs
  • 4 boxes of contact solution with cases
  • 1 pkg Reese's peanut butter cups (we all deserved a treat, right?)
  • 10 pouches Russel Stover sugar-free candy (have a diabetic husband, so this was a great deal)
  • 8 boxes Totino's pizza rolls
  • 4 boxes Macaroni Grill dinner kits
  • 3 whole fryer chickens

All of this should have been $186.47. I spent $52.82, saved $133.65 (71.67%)!!!! I'm even getting closer to my goal of keeping my weekly grocery shopping under $50. Almost there..., just need a little more discipline.

On this shopping trip, the items that I received 100% FREE include:



  • 8 boxes Totino's pizza rolls
  • 6 pouches Russel Stover sugar-free candy
  • 2 boxes contact solution
  • 1 whole fryer chicken

Ahh, another satisfied customer. I would just feel a lot better if I hadn't forgotten my husband's birthday. I guess I'll just have to fix him an extra yummy dinner tonight....

5 comments:

Alicia said...

That's pretty classic. Curtis and I have been big followers of your weekly grocery shopping exploits. I hate doing coupons, so unless I cave, I will never match your deals, but I did have a good outing this morning!

Kelli said...

You are hilarious. I always get a giggle out of reading your blog. The funny thing is I can hear your voice telling the story in my head. I know it is weird.

I agree that shopping the ads with coupons is addicting. I spent last night looking over the ads and making my shopping list. I was at Albertson's this morning by 10:30 a.m. Yeah for great shopping deals!

Kristen said...

You're pathetic!

Bethany said...

Hey Kerilee gave me your blog address. I'm a couponer too!
Good job on your deals!

Anonymous said...

That's incredible! I laughed out loud about the birthday mishap:).