Two Gents and a Little Lady

Thursday, February 5, 2009

How Budweiser paid for my Ensign subscription

How's that title for a hook?
A couple months ago, I discovered little treasures known as beer rebates. No, no, I have not become a beer-drinker/buyer (or alcohol of any kind). The beauty of these rebates: no beer purchase required. Every once in a while, I will find little tear pads on various aisles of the local grocery stores (I've only found them at Smith's and Albertsons). On it, it will say that I need to spend at least $x on certain items (very general, not brand specific), then mail in my receipt with the rebate form, and Budweiser will send me a check for the minimum $x. Essentially getting free stuff.
If I combine the items that I am purchasing for the rebate with a fabulous sale, including coupons, then I can actually make money. For example, one of the 3 rebates that I qualified for this month was this one:

It just so happens that one of the weeks during this month, Smith's was having a terrific sale on fresh chicken breast for $.99/lb. I had a Smith's coupon (printed out after a previous purchase) for $2.50 off a purchase of fresh poultry over $10. So, I purchased 15+ lbs. of chicken breasts for $12.50, and I will receive a check from Budweiser in a few weeks for $15. Basically, I'm getting paid $2.50 to have 15 lbs of free chicken breasts. Love it!!!
Then there's this beauty from the same month:

There was a separate sale at Smith's during the month on Pace Picante. They were priced at $1.99 each, but if you purchase any 10 items within a group of items (in which the salsa was included), then $5 would be deducted at the register. PLUS, I happened to have 5 coupons for $.75 off 2 jars of Pace Picante. So, I purchased 10 jars of salsa ($19.90 - $5.00 instant savings - $3.75 coupons) for $11.15, and will receive $10 from Budweiser, essentially making each jar cost 11.5 cents. Love it!!!
And the 3rd rebate of the month:

For this one, I purchased Wheat Thins as the salty snack. Albertsons was having a sale a couple weeks ago on wheat thins: buy 3 at $1.99 each, get one 8 oz. package of cheese free. I happened to have 12 coupons for $1 off each box of Nabisco crackers. So I purchased 12 boxes of Wheat Thins (good snack cracker) for $11.88, but received 32 oz. of cheese free. After the $10 rebate, I will have paid $1.88 for the lot. Love it!!!

Question: Does this actually work?

Answer: Yes, I received my first check from Budweiser last week for a rebate I turned in at the end of December. (pictured below)

Question: What does any of this have to do with an Ensign subscription?

Answer: Technically, nothing. However, this first $10 check I received:


happened to arrive on the same day that I received a renewal notice for my Ensign subscription, which is $10. Clint and I had a good laugh about Budweiser paying for our Ensign.

Question: Is this moral/ethical for a Mormon to do?

Answer: Well, that is for each of us to decide for ourselves. My logic: I'm not supporting a beer company, they are just paying me for buying non-alcoholic products that I would have purchased anyway. I have supported a beer company more by going to SeaWorld (owned by Anheuser-Busch) 3 times. So, to each his own.

Question: Where can one find these little babies?

Answer: In Smith's, they are posted above the refridgerators down the beer aisle. In Albertson's, they are scattered around the items listed on the rebate (chips, pizza, etc). Unfortunately, these rebates are only valid in certain states. As far as I know, I have blog followers in Washington, California, Arizona, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Texas, Tennessee, and occasionally in Algeria. Out of all these states, Utah is the only state that these rebates are valid. To all of you others, SORRY! Maybe there are other rebates in your states....

Hooray for getting a free Ensign subscription plus $35 free food! :D

No comments: