Two Gents and a Little Lady

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Quirky is as quirky does

So my friend Annie quirky-tagged me from her blog (like a week ago).
The rules: mention the rules on your blog, tell about six quirks of yours, and tag six fellow bloggers to do the same. I never realized just how quirky I am... That's not true; I've always known that I was an oddball. And whenever I forget, my family is there to remind me.

1. I get choked up every time I hear or see an ambulence racing by with its sirens wailing. I've been in a situation in which I thought I was watching a loved one die, and I remember the feelings of panic, uncertainty, confusion, and anguish. Whenever I hear those dreaded sirens wailing at top speed, I think to myself that there is somebody else out there feeling those same feelings, wondering if their loved one is going to live or die, and I get all choked up. I prefer to think of it as a compassionate, empathetic moment, but the truth is... it's just an odd quirk of mine.
2. I am not a lover of fruit. In fact, there are few... species?... of fruit that I like at all. Most people I know equate fruit with dessert, so they would be flabbergasted with my declaration. I'm fairly sure it is a texture issue, because I love many fruit-flavored foods and drinks, including fruit juices. I just can't handle swallowing the actual piece of fruit. Among the worst: strawberries. Can't stand 'em. Bizarre, right? Among the types that I like are apples (red only), bananas, pears, and grapes (red or black only).
3. I have made a hobby out of collecting exercise videos. Not exercising, but just collecting the videos. I am one of those fools who sees a well-made and convincing infomercial selling a new breakthrough exercise program, with a video and possibly some associated equipment, and I fall for the sales pitch hook, line, and sinker. I always think to myself that this is the exercise program that will magically allow me to lose those hated 15 lbs. in just a few short weeks while only exercising for 10 minute periods 3 times a week. When I don't get those results (or any, for that matter), I get really mad at the video, put it into storage, and go on an exercise strike for an extended period of time. Until I see another infomercial that rekindles that spark of hope....
4. I LOVE math! I have always loved math. The various math subjects were always my favorite classes in school: algebra, triginometry, calculus, statistics.... The only exception was geometry. I didn't like geometry very much at all. My Grandma Maxine likes to tell a story of driving down a residential street with me (as a little girl ) sitting in the passenger seat. As she would drive, I would mentally add up all the house numbers posted on the houses that we passed, then when we got to the end of the block, I would tell my grandma what the total was. The absolute weirdness of it obviously struck her because she still likes to tell that story. I don't remember it myself, but it really does sound like something I would have done.
5. I am one of the most unfeminine women I know. I hate, loathe, despise, and abominate doing anything crafty (including scrapbooking), shopping (clothes, food - you name it), styling my hair (a ponytail or a hair claw will usually do the trick), or primping in any way. I was sent to Earth without a sense of fashion, style, or taste. And it shows. I still have hand-me-down clothes in my closet that my older sisters gave to me years ago (and by years, I mean a decade or longer). I can still remember my older sister, Kristen, along with her friend, Regan, sitting me down in my bedroom the week before I was to start middle school. They then proceeded to go through every article of clothing I owned and point out to me which shirts I could wear with which pants, which items just needed to be burned, etc. I think I'm due for another lesson.
6. I have the heart of a 72-year-old trapped inside the out-of-shape body of a 28-year-old. Three of my favorite hobbies are reading, crocheting, and watching black-and-white movies. Hopeless, I know. Oh, and I also enjoy doing crossword puzzles and playing sudoku. Yup, I'm old before my time.

I tag: anybody who is reading this post and wants to play along.

2 comments:

kira said...

Love the fruit thing. I'm not a big fruit fan either and I catch all sorts of flax for it. I like quite a few different fruits, but I don't devour them like most people do and if I'm gonna have a fruit I prefer it to be fresh (so I guess I have texture issues too) - not smashed or in a jam. (gag) :)

Anonymous said...

We must be related! I too love math but HATE geometry. I am also not a very feminine girl. Must be in the genes...