Ahhhhhhhhh, game day. And not just any game day. Cougar game day. Once again, Clint and I left our boys in the capable hands of a babysitter today, then hopped on the bike to journey to Cougartown (aka BYU campus) for another promising football game. The opponent? Fellow Mountain West Conference team, the Wyoming Coyboys. The day was beautiful (and I even remembered sunscreen this time), the company was splendid (we sit with some terrific and very entertaining friends), and the Cougars were outstanding (they thumped the 'Pokes with a final score of 44-0).
After the BYU vs Wyoming game 2 years ago (during which the Cougs soundly trounced the Cowboys), the Wyoming head coach commented at the post-game interview, "Everything those boys (the Cougars) touch turns to gold, and everything we touch turns to mufflers." Clint and I shared a good hearty chuckle at the random comment, and I kept thinking about it during today's game.
After returning home from the game, I hurriedly threw together a fruit salad, then we headed off to the ward potluck dinner/ talent show. We were treated to some singing, a guitar duet, an accordian performance, some dancing, and some joke-telling. My favorite performance of all, though, was the line dance demonstrated by 3 ward members..... all of whom are over the age of 80. They were stooped over, and their tightly belted britches almost reached their armpits, but they were quick on their feet, smooth in their moves, and very entertaining. They danced to 2 songs, then made everybody get up so they could teach us one of the dances. The trio was made of one man and two women, and the man and one of the women are newlyweds (they make such a cute couple).
Neither Clint nor I contributed to the performance part of the talent show (although I did just hear Clint trying to convince his dad over the phone that he did some clogging to the accompaniment of Mary had a Little Lamb), but we did add a little to the display tables set up. I brought one of the more recent baby blankets I have made (borrowed back from the mother I gave it to), and Clint displayed some of his exceptional artwork.
2 comments:
Oh man, comments like this make me miss that ward SOOOOOOO much! I wish we could have seen it! I'll have to ask Jonathan if he heard that muffler comment from a couple years ago. I'm sure it'll make him smile as well.
The line dancers were my favorite too :) And I must say that Steve and I were thoroughly impressed and pleasantly surprised by Clint's artwork and your crocheting!
Post a Comment