I have been striving lately to be more organized and efficient in my food storage collection and usage. My problem is space (okay, money plays a role as well). I have boxes and cans stored in several different closets, under several beds, and in various cabinets and cupboards. So, I never know what exactly I have or where it is. (It is entirely possible that I have a 4 month supply of wheat and a 2 year supply of hot chocolate!)
I have found a food storage inventory download that is helping me immensely to see what I have, how much I have, and what I need to buy. Check it out to see if it might help you too. I have also found a small collection of recipes (for breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and desserts) that you can make solely from ingredients that can/should be found in your food storage. No fresh ingredients required. While it would be great to expand the size and variety of my food storage one day when I have a large basement with a large food storage pantry (it will happen, it will!), I know that I can live off these recipes for a few months and be fine. So I am focusing on making sure I have these ingredients first, then expanding the variety as I find space.
Also, if you are interested, I have included a couple food storage blogs to my blogroll on the right. You can check those out if you want; they have some neat ideas and recipes.
Any thoughts/ideas on the subject? Please share!
3 comments:
Way to go! When you don't live in a house and you don't have very much money it is so easy to make excuses. For me I always try to remember to stock up on foods that we use regularly.
Ah, food storage. I think we have about a month's supply of cold cereal, but that's about it. I'm impressed that you are getting a food supply together with such limited space!
I have been thinking a lot about food storage too. In fact I am taking a break from organizing and writing down everything I have. Matt has decided to take the month of September and pretend as though we aren't able to go to the store and live strictly on what we have. I'll let you know who it goes!
I love the recipes you have!
Post a Comment