On the morning of the 26th, however, my doctor's office called to reschedule the amnio for that afternoon. In order to make the appointment, I would have to leave within the hour. I tried to call Clint, but his phone battery was dead (as was his brother's), and my father-in-law had left his phone at home. I tried to call my mother-in-law (who was shopping with all my adult sisters-in-law), but she wasn't answering her phone either. I was in full-blown stressed out panic mode. I was home alone with one brother-in-law and a bunch of children, and I was sure that I would have to make the 2 1/2 hour drive on snowy roads by myself. Shortly before I had to leave, the women returned, and my mother-in-law hurried and packed a bag so she could accompany me. I left a note for my husband, and off we went.
The only excitement we had on the drive was when we got stuck in the snow just east of Daniel's Summit. After digging and pushing for about 15 minutes, we got ourselves unstuck and back on the road. We arrived in Orem just in time for my appointment. I arrived, feeling very lucky that I had made it home without going into labor, only to discover when they hooked me up to the monitor that I was having regular contractions every two minutes, and my blood pressure had skyrocketed (considering the morning I had, can you blame me?). The doctor was willing to send me straight to the operating room, but not only had I eaten too recently, but I had yet to hear from my husband (and I was getting worried). So we proceeded with the amnio, which showed the lungs to be very well-developed, and we scheduled the c-section for early the next morning. When I did hear from Clint, he explained that not only had they killed two elk, but his brother's truck had broken down on the way home. Since none of them had working phones, they had a difficult morning also. He was able to hitch a ride to Orem that evening with his sister and brother-in-law.
I checked into the hospital the next morning at 7 am. This picture was taken just after checking in, and just before changing into my hospital gown. Man, am I glad not to be pregnant anymore.
Our son, whom we named Brennen Duncan McKeachnie, was born at 9:05 am, weighing in at 7 lbs 2 oz and measuring 19 inches long. Despite his lungs being fully developed, his oxygen levels were a little low, so he was placed in an oxygen box for a few minutes while I was being sewn (and stapled) back together.
So slimy, yet so perfect.
No comments:
Post a Comment